V.C.S.A.P. SUPERVISION OF VOLUNTEERS AND PLACEMENT STUDENTS POLICY
- Direct unsupervised access (i.e. when the adult is alone with a child) is not permitted for persons who are not employees of the child care centre;
- No child is supervised by a person under 18 years of age;
- Placement students are not counted in the staffing ratios;
- Volunteers are not counted in staffing ratios;
- Students and volunteers will be given appropriate orientation, training, supervision and feedback.
- All students/volunteers 18 years of age or older must provide a current, clear Police Record Check (PRC) before beginning her/his placement;
- All students/volunteers meet with the coordinator (or designated authority) before being accepted into her/his placement;
- All students/volunteers must sign VCSAP’s Behaviour Management Policy, Anaphylaxis Policy and Playground Safety Policy;
- All student/volunteers are supervised by the centre’s Registered Early Childhood Educators (RECE), a permanent VCSAP staff member and/or the coordinator (or designated authority) throughout the entire placement.
- Consideration: Appendix A – Anaphylaxis Awareness Form
- Consideration: Appendix B – Student Placement Contract
The intent of this policy is to ensure the safety and well-being of the children at Vanier Cooperative School Age Program. Only employees at our centre will have direct unsupervised access to the children.
Before any student or volunteer begins her/his placement at VCSAP, the coordinator (or designated authority) will meet with the individual to review the centre’s behaviour management procedures and VCSAP’s health and safety procedures. The student/volunteer must also sign the Anaphylaxis Awareness Form (Appendix A). The expectations for the student/volunteer will be clearly outlined during this initial meeting. The student/volunteer will also be required to review a copy of the Parent Handbook and Section 2 of the Day Nurseries Act.
Volunteers: If the prospective volunteer is 18 years of age or older, we require a current, clear Police Record Check (PRC). We also require a résumé and a commitment to keeping a schedule of times she/he is willing to volunteer. All prospective volunteers are asked why they are interested in working at our centre, what their experience has been with children and are they considering a career in a child-related field (i.e. Early Childhood Education, teacher’s college, social work, etc.). The volunteer will be told by the coordinator (or designated authority) that she/he will speak to the teaching staff to determine whether or not a volunteer is needed in any of the rooms. Once it is established which program is interested in having a volunteer, the coordinator (or designated authority) will contact the prospective volunteer to inform them of the decision. Before any placement begins in a program, staff will meet with the volunteer to clearly outline the defined role of the volunteer.
Students: If the student is 18 years of age or older, we require a current, clear PRC. The student must sign a contract (Appendix B) which is followed closely throughout the student’s placement. The student will be assigned to a RECE for the entire placement. The RECE will meet with the student to review the expectations of the program. If the contract is breached at any point during the placement, the placement will be forfeited.
Date Approved: August 4, 2011