Vanier Co-operative Childcare Centre (formerly known as Vanier Cooperative School Age Program) has been an active member of the Ottawa Federation of Parents’ Childcare Services (OFPCS.)
Staff – working hand in hand with parents to deliver quality, early learning and child care in communities across Ottawa.
Parents – at the centre of child care and education within a regulated, professional and non-profit context.
Five parent, cooperative centres came together in 1985 to form the Ottawa Federation of Parents’ Daycare Centres (OFPDC) to support and enhance the development of our unique model. The OPDC has grown to include nine, non-profit centres that share a common structure, philosophy and an deep commitment in providing high, quality, parent-involved child care programs. Together, the OFPDC delivers 780 licensed childcare spaces in Ottawa.
Over a three year period, the Federation underwent a transformation process through consultation and decision-making to develop a closer, more sustainable administrative and governance structure. The project, “SCIF—Strengthening the Cooperatives into the Future” main goal was to better position the OFPDC member centres to be more responsive to their communities’ needs while expanding the variety of programs and range of services flexible to parents diverse needs.
Rebranded as the Ottawa Federation of Parents’ Childcare Services (OFPCS), a new administrative structure and governance model was designed to better support individual centres. OFPCS’ Board and its Central Administration collectively respond to the changing early learning and care service landscape. Administrative efficiencies and economies of scale have been sought for the purposes of expansion of new programs and services while continuing to foster centre autonomy.
OFPCS Mission Statement:
The mission of the Federation is to promote quality care and education of children through the provision of shared services that support and enhance the operation and development of non-profit, co-operative childcare.
1. The Vision of the Child in our Programs: We support the inclusive, respectful, strength based, positive and emotionally responsive environments that promote the well-being of all children.
2. The Co-operative Philosophy: We strive to strengthen the co-operative model that recognizes the importance of the parent-staff partnership and consensus decision-making.
3. Partnerships with Families: We appreciate that our relationship with families is mutually beneficial and is based on joint respect for the valuable work that we both do.
4. Effective Communication: We recognize that effective communication between member centres and shared services is essential for providing quality support and resources.
5. Transparency and Accountability: We acknowledge the importance of ongoing discussion and evaluation in order to provide best practices and commit to assuring transparent governance, decision-making and accountability
6. Diversity of Mind, Experience and People: We value innovative thought, embrace change as an opportunity to grow and judge ideas based on their potential to lead to lasting, positive change.
7. Initiative and Action: We commit to being a strong advocate in our community to support our mission